Christmas is only a week away, but are you still yet to decorate with Christmas lighting? Don’t leave it too late. Instead, let ABM bring you the perfect last-minute Christmas light guide that will wow your neighbours!
Last-minute Christmas lighting guide – safety first
Before you do start decorating, it is important that you test out your lighting. There’s no bigger waste of time than untangling all those lights and fitting them around your home, only to find that they don’t perform like they used to. If you need any new lights in time for the big day, ABM is here to help.
Indoor v outdoor lighting
Indoor lighting is usually always protected from harsh weather conditions, but what about outdoor lighting? It is recommended that the lighting you choose is specifically designed for the outdoors and, if they require a socket, are protected by a cover.
White fairy lights are quite versatile and can add a complimentary sparkle to any Christmas colour scheme or theme. However, it is important to make yourself aware that there are two types of white to choose form. These are cool white lights that give off a bright a fresh effect, and warm white lights that create a golden glow.
Of course, you don’t have to go for white lighting. There are plenty of coloured options available that can add a vibrant twinkle to your home this Christmas!
If you’re looking for lighting that is a bit of a showstopper, you may want to consider cluster lighting. This lighting style has multiple strands splitting off from one main cable, creating a tinsel effect. This is perfect for filling big gaps that deserve a bit of sparkle!
Additional lighting in your home can certainly boost your energy bills, particularly at Christmas time. So, to avoid such a high price hike, you may want to consider lighting with LED bulbs as they are cost-efficient to run and are great for saving energy.
Where to put your Christmas lights
Christmas lighting is not something you can only place on your tree or display in front of your home. In fact, there are many ways in which you can decorate your home with Christmas lighting this year. Here are just a few ideas to inspire you.
- Drape them over your bannister
- Place them over your shelving or your mantelpiece
- Use large bowls, jars or vases to sit them in as decorative centrepieces
- Hang them from the ceiling
- Use them to create a festive card display
- Wrap around a mirror for a touch of glam
If you plan on decorating your home exterior with festive lighting, here are some tips!
- Be sure to add on a dry day for safety
- Take measurements to see how far your lights will reach from the socket.
- Wrap the lights around trees as though they were your Christmas tree.
- For hanging lights, attach decorating clips or gutter hooks if necessary, leaving a gap of approximately 12 inches between each hanging.
- Step back and assess your lighting layout, checking everything is spaces out evenly and that there are no loose cables.
Light your home with ABM Electrical Wholesale Ltd
We are more than happy to chat with you about your lighting options this Christmas. To find out more, get in touch!